Friday, January 24, 2014

Back in the Saddle

After a long hiatus, I am back teaching Sunday school again.  Debbie, Pam and Nancy were my original teachers, each teaching one month per quarter.  Pam requested a break so Donna stepped up about a year ago.  One day after class we were talking and it was evident to me that Debbie needed a break.  They were wondering who might be willing to teach.  And I volunteered!  I have the extra time and I feel really comfortable with this group of ladies.  I also like teaching only one month per quarter.  It is a lot of pressure to teach each and every Sunday.  I think I'm doing ok so far.  Well, they haven't come at me with pitchforks, nor have I had a mass exodus.

I still miss my former class.  We had such fun and a lot of growth.  I must say that it is harder to teach with bulk material, that is material made to fit the masses.  It was more enjoyable and I think beneficial to be able to direct the class based on the ladies' interests and spiritual needs.  It seems that the bulk material often covers the same books of the Bible over and over.  And completely misses some of the others.  It also has a tendency to skip passages, so you can squeeze the entire book of John into one quarter of study.  But you know me, I'll cover all of the verses and I'm not one to read your study guide to you.  I will dig deeper to inform, challenge and get you thinking.

No comments: