Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweet Lucy, we are off the Beaten Path!

My sister and her husband came in from Atlanta. I challenge myself to show them something unique each visit. Some local flavor, so to speak. And this time it was quite flavorful! A friend from work told me about Kelso, Tennessee and the Prichard Rum Distillery. I was rather amazed that there was much of anything in Kelso, it truly is a wide spot on Highway 64. If you drove by this building...

would you really think it was a distillery? It used to be the Kelso Community Center. It still has the basketball goals and disco ball...Too funny!

Inside they make some excellent rum and bourbon the old fashioned way, in pot stills. It is quite an interesting process.

Of course, it originated with Grandpa making moonshine. Today they call it:"White Lightning". I'm not much of a drinker but I'm pretty sure it would take the enamel off my teeth! Anyway, it was a fun tour and always interesting to learn the biography behind it.

After the tour, we went across the street to the restaurant. Or should I say: "The Restaurant". Yes, it really is called that. And had a delightful lunch. I never had double barrel bourbon french onion soup before. It was quite good!

No comments: