Saturday, January 5, 2013

2012 Reflections

It has been an interesting year. Every weekend in January and part of February I was in a different motel in a different state looking at colleges with Tdawg. Some good, some not so good. It was definitely emotionally draining. But nice to spend some time with Tdawg. By March, he had made his decision: Birmingham Southern College. It is a very prestigious college...one of the best in the nation. He was awarded a partial academic scholarship and welcomed onto the football team. New Years' day, Cletus broke his foot and was not able to travel with us. And about the time he got his cast off, the doctor finally decided that my foot (heel) was broken. Many weeks in a boot and a lot of pain later, I was pronounced cured (not so sure about that). So, the spring was just a blur of activity...mostly leading up to graduation. Tdawg graduated in May and I got out of the boot(in July) And the summer went by even faster. Buddy and I managed a short trip to the beach with a work friend and her daughter. She had the room, we just had to drive down and sleep on the sofa bed. Well worth it. The weather was gorgeous and it was ultra relaxing. By the time we got back, it was time for Tdawg to pack for college. It was a Herculean task. But he moved in early August and started football practice. To keep me calm, after we dropped Tdawg in Birmingham, we headed down to the beach. I cried about halfway to the beach. Tough to have them so dependent on you and then not. I did better than I thought I would. This trip to the beach, I checked parasailing off of my bucket list. It was awesome. I have always wanted to fly like a bird and this is probably the closest I'll ever get. Of course, I am a little afraid of heights (and falling from a long way up) but it was so much fun! The fall went by faster than the summer. We spent almost every weekend on the road watching Tdawg play football. He eventually made the varsity squad and they won their conference. So, he will be getting a ring. I'll definitely take pics when he gets it. Despite all of the traveling. I did a lot of projects around the house. I painted every room (except over the stairs). I retiled a table that was my mother's. And of course did a lot of small art projects. And Bible studies. Good to keep grounded in this crazy mixed up world! Being unemployed all year has been tough...but all in all, not a bad year. It will be interesting to see what 2013 holds. Buddy graduates this year. And we may move to a smaller place. Other than that...who knows.

No comments: