Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fourth of July Memories

This picture is my dad, my grandmother and myself on July 4th long long ago. My maternal grandmother's (Grace Lucille) birthday was July 2nd. So, growing up, we spent every Fourth of July at her house. It is strange what the mind remembers. I only seem to remember drinking Pepsi (we only drank Coke at our house) and grandmother's jello. She always made a lime jello salad with canned pineapple and mini-marshmallows. I'm not sure who came up with that combination...but it wasn't good. She made another jello salad with orange jello, shredded carrots and raisins...it was even worst. Needless to say, she had the reputation of not being able to cook. I wonder what my kids (and eventually grandkids) will remember about me. I guarantee they won't remember my making any jello salad combinations.

No comments: