Sunday, July 6, 2008

Public Speaking

I suffer from the number one fear: public speaking. My mother signed me up for speech and drama at a young age. None of this "training" did me any good. I had to speak in front of a crowd this morning. Just hand me a microphone and make me stand at the front of the room and I'm suddenly transformed into jello! The papers in my hand were shaking. My legs were shaking and my knees were locked. Then I start having visions of people storming at me with lit torches and pitchforks. It is totally irrational! I would have no problem talking to these people (most of whom I know) one-on-one or in a small group. I don't even know if I made any sense. I made notes...but I couldn't read them because I was shaking so hard. It is so bad that even members of my own family were betting against me. Tdawg bet that I would completely pass out within the first three sentences. By the way, he lost that bet. Probably because I did remember to breathe this time. Also, I did not stand on the platform for fear that I would fall off. I'm still left wondering how the speakers from last weekend manage to address 19,000 people on a regular basis!!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Well girlfriend, you came across very self assured. You did a good job, you did breathe, we could understand you. Best of all it's over and nobody came after you with a pitchfork. I did think at one point that you had managed to escape speaking, but then Brother Billy Bob remembered. God is good, He will take care of us. This is only another opportunity to trust God. :) I do believe your gift just might be public speaking, :). Oh an that was a cute top you had on today! My sweet speaker in training sister! Love ya!

Laurie said...

I seriously doubt that public speaking will ever be one of my gifts. But then again, never say never. Thanks for the compliment, I shop at Chez Sherika for all of my clothes. :-)