Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reminiscing

Every year the family on my Mom's side would gather together on July 4 to celebrate Independence Day and my grandmother's birthday (which fell on the sixth). It would be at Grandma S' house. So, when I was back in Denver with the cousins from that side of the family...we reminisced. Grandma S was not know for her ability to cook. But everyone remembered the salad that she made every year. It is so awful that I could not believe that I actually found the recipe on Cooks.com. DISCLAIMER" Please do not try this at home. It is artfully called Carrot Pineapple Salad and is prepared as follows:

1 package Jello (orange, lime or lemon)
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water
1 cup coarsely grated raw carrots (yum?)
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained.
Follow directions on Jello box. Wait until almost set and stir in carrots and pineapple. Let set.

I'm sure at the time, Jello was a new craze...cooks everywhere tried to come up with new inexpensive ways to make their children eat fruits and vegetables. But this may be the worst yet!

For the sake of accuracy, Grandma used lime jello. Her pineapple was chunks not crushed. And for that extra something...she also added marshmallow. (gulp). I was just thinking about how people are remembered. For my husbands grandmother, she is remembered for her fabulous butter rolls. His aunt has the recipe...but she has not been able to duplicate Grandmother's efforts. I'm just wondering what my kids will remember about me...

No comments: