Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Purpose, not a Resolution

I know I'm late...but it is a occupational hazard for accountants. We are always behind the calendar. At work, I am still working on 2009. I usually frown on making "New Year's resolutions", but then again, it seems like a good time for some self-reflection, some goal setting and starting some new habits. I am not keen on the word: resolutions. I prefer goals, purpose and intent.

Habit: an acquired pattern of behavior. It is said that it takes 21 days to start a new habit. And I know from personal experience that it takes much longer to break a bad one. For the most part, I am a frazzled wife and mom of two teenage boys...so taking on 365 days at a time is just too much for me. I am also a slow learner, so I will take a month at a time.

Borrowing humbly from Shelley Hendrix's blog: Andy Stanley said that it is always a mistake to decide what you will do before you decide who you want to be.

So who do I want to be? My intent is to be more like the Proverbs 31 woman. The Bible says that the Proverbs 31 woman is purposeful about bringing good to her family through the use of her time, skills and energy. She makes good choices about how she spends her time and operates according to her priorities. She plans ahead and is prepared for tough times. Her husband and children feel well-loved and cared for. She is loving, giving, warm and compassionate.

So for the month of January: due to necessity, rather than resolve, I am putting my health first. I believe that if I make small adjustments (one each week), I will be more likely to keep on track. Baby steps to a healthier me.

No comments: