Monday, April 25, 2011

Cruisin...Day 3

Thanks to our driver, we ended up in Progeso only eleven minutes late. Whew that is some fancy driving! Progreso is in the Yucatan Peninsula just about straight south of Mobile.



Progreso looks very old Mexico. There was an interesting market square. The shop owners stand out front and try to drag you into the store...literally! Lots of clothes and jewelry. They have no sense of "political correctness"...so you will find some interesting sayings on their t-shirts. Cletus found a Harley Davidson t-shirt. Tdawg found a pair of sunglasses.

It wasn't long before we boarded the bus to the beach resort. Progreso is fairly new to tourism. The market place was pretty nice and not too scary. But as soon as we left the parking lot and passed the heavily armed guard shack, it was a different world. We rode about twenty minutes. The area is obviously very economically depressed. Hurricane Gilbert had left his mark and significantly changed the landscape. There was a new salt water bay where all of the vegetaion had died. The buildings were haphazardly built but still had the typical bright paint colors. A strong military/police presence was evident in the area we passed through.

Our tour guide was something else; he told us that he learned english by watching the tv show "Friends". So he would mimick Joey's "How yous doin'?" He seemed to think that he was the Mexican Brad Pitt. Very funny!!

Once at the beach, it was nice but not as pretty as Florida. We had a nice lunch buffet (pronounced boo-fey).



Tdawg and I got a one-person kayak each and I taught him how to paddle and steer. It was a gorgeous day and we had a blast. Later I got at two-person kayak and had Buddy sit up front. I taught him how to paddle and I did most of the steering. He loved it! Then we just played in the water the rest of the day.



While Tdawg and I were paddling, Buddy and Cletus were relaxing in the shade. Well, Buddy was relaxing. Cletus fell out of the hammock and hurt his back. He ended up at the ship's doctor for an inflammation shot and some pain killers!



It was a long day! After I got Cletus set up in the room with and ice bag and pain killers, Buddy and I went out. We finally got dinner, watched karoke, played a trivia game. I had one of the drink specials. It was the Blue Margarita: Blue Curacao, Tequila and lime juice. Just tasted like six shots of tequila and some blue food coloring! Yow it was strong!



So, that is why I ended up on this stage at the Mikado (with fifteen other saps) learning 70's disco dancing. At first there were about eleven people watching us...but by the time we got done, the whole place was packed. It seats about 1300 people. They were actually waiting for the bingo game that was coming up next.

Lucky me. But that's ok. I'll never see any of these people in five days. Except, the one person I knew on the ship (Jana from work) spotted me as she was walking by the doors.

1 comment:

Just My Life said...

Wish I could have seen you up on the stage, why are there no photos of that!?