Sunday, April 7, 2013

Home where your story is told

"Your home should tell the story of who you are and be a collection of what you love brought together under one roof." (Nate Berkus)

Your home tells the about the journey you have been on and what you cherish enough to keep.  The contents that fill the walls and shelves should have meaning. They should tell your story.

This spoke to me especially after moving from Golden to Greeley to Anchorage to Harvest to Huntsville to Hazel Green to Meridianville and now back to Hazel Green.  Moving around as much as we do these days...you really have to love your items to pay to drag them around!

As I pack boxes and reminiscing about each item, I realize that each piece is a part of me. A pursuit (art) or a souvenir from the places I have been, even people I have known. It is cool to me to have my Grandmother's Hoosier cabinet (born in the late 1800's). The rocking chair my dad was rocked in as a baby (1920's). The table my mother and I retiled. My parents chair (1950's). An eclectic mix of old and new. The story of me.

We have been here a decade. Exciting to see what the next decade will bring. What new chapters will appear on the shelves and walls.

1 comment:

SSP said...

i love that laurie...the more i move, the harder it is to toss things....each has a story and a past, and to throw it away almost seems a crime. I have managed to get rid of a lot of the JUNK i have accumulated over the years, and now I need to be able to part with some of the more attached stuff...the piano music box my great grandmother gave me that is well over 70 years old....my mother's wedding garter, my grandfather's brass belt buckle...it adds up and makes moving EXPENSIVE!