Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pondering from Cultivating Contentment

When my heart is restless, I often chase an impulse without giving it much thought. I turn to activities, hoping that the busyness will drive away my dissatisfaction. Possessions are a tempting, though temporary, a salve for the restless heart. Sometimes I just need a change of scenery (road trip) or something different: new furniture, new wallpaper, new paint. Sometimes I try to reinvent myself, hoping my new look will put my restlessness to rest. But I, as a child of God, was made for more than this world has to offer. My yearnings, longings, craving and hopes are telling me something: there isn't enough love, peace, hope, friendship, and intimacy on this earth to completely satisfy me. On this side of heaven, I will always want more.