Friday, February 6, 2009

I think I know what's wrong...

I think I know what is wrong with our society today. I was contacted yesterday at lunch. She said that she is an "accident investigator" and asked me if I had retained a lawyer. I was floored. I had read the police report earlier that day. The other driver said that she had the right-of-way. And she didn't get a ticket. Even though the police officer stated that she failed to yield. My thought was that either the business that owns the van or that girl is going to try and sue me!! Holy Cow!!!!! It turns out that the lady on the phone isn't a lawyer, but she works for them. She spends her day reading police reports (here they are a matter of public record) and contacting the "victims". Yes, what she does is highly unethical and by the way, illegal! No wonder our court systems are tied up with crap and money-grubbing people are suing left and right. What ever happened to common sense?? Yes, I would sue but only if the other party would not do the right thing. Thankfully, ALFA is being very nice. They even upgraded me to a Camry.

2 comments:

Just My Life said...

That makes me so mad! I am sorry you had this negative experience. I am a paralegal for a personal injury lawyer and we have never stooped to such low levels to get a case - it makes us all look bad. We have even come across a chiropractor's office who had a paralegal in their office that worked for a law firm in Louisiana that would do these calls and even arrange car rides to and from their office because they also conveniently had arranged for them to get their med treatment at their office ... it's amazing what some lawyers will sink to! Don't think bad of us all ...

Laurie said...

I don't think ill of lawyers...my dad is one. I just can't believe that this girl called me up and scared me like that just to get business for someone else. I know there are reasons to have a lawyer...I just don't want to be scared into retaining one!