Monday, February 25, 2013

Yard Sale

I broke my rule from 14 or so years ago...and had a yard sale.  What was I thinking? Well, I was thinking that I didn't want to box and pay to move all of our collections.  So how about sell some of it.  Saturday (according to the weather guessers) was to be a warm sunny day. So we set out signs and set up shop. Cletus being the ever-prepared guy he is, started at 4a.  Ei-yi-yi.  It turned out to be gray, misty and seriously cold day!  I think that contributed to our low turn out.  We made a little money. 

The strangest things sold (and good stuff just sat)... 

A fan that I got at the dollar store for work, one day when the a/c went out and an old metal 2 door filing cabinet, were the first to go. Really?

And I learned we have some interesting neighbors...
Posts for a closet organizer was happily taken by a little man (Troll?) who was going to transform it into a bridge for his model train set.

Then about noon, I started packing it back up for the charity truck...when Fred and Ethel (not their real names) rolled into the driveway.  Tdawg said that Fred looked a lot like Papa Smurf. They asked if they could look.  I said sure, why not.  They wanted the first few things they saw, so Tdawg helped load the van.  In the van already: a shag tiger rug, an outdoor grill, a deer head and several samurai type swords.  Hmmm. That's...unusual.

Long story short, the more they looked the more they wanted.  Until they had all of it. Fred and Ethel are most likely Class 5 (highest class) hoarders.  They took everything we had left.  Which included Tdawg and I helping haul the rest of it to their son's house. I felt bad about adding to their addiction...but it made them so happy.  And if they sell it and make a few bucks, more power to them.

I'm just glad it is over...and now I have extra money that I can't spend because I'm sick.

No comments: