Thursday, May 29, 2008

High School, Part One

The question was asked...what was I like in high school. Not sure that I can answer that objectively. So I have asked a few buddies to comment (that's part two). I don’t think that I fit into a particular stereotypical group. I did not make it as a “brain”. My mother picked out what classes I took, and when. It would have been nice to have a light load, but my mother was having none of that. Whether for rebellious or lazy reasons, I was not a good student. I pretty much never studied. I still did well in my classes (by sheer luck) except one: French. I had no business being in that class. I was completely lost, overwhelmed and frustrated from day one. I wanted to take Spanish (Mom said No!). Did I mention that I love Mexican food? So I told Mr. Trujillo the only Spanish phrase I knew: “Emilio come la aspiradora”, which loosely translates into “Emilio eats the vacuum cleaner. Mr. Trujillo laughed so hard that he made me to be an honorary member of the Spanish Club.
Gotta give a shout out to Mrs. Henson, bless her heart! I was the goofy kid in Chemistry that hooked the bunsen burner up to the water (by mistake!) and made a stunning fountain...and waterfall. My experiments never turned out well. Go figure. But I must admit, I always had the best looking lab partners!
I had (have) a terrible body image. I was told that I was fat and believed it. Looking back, I don't think I was as heavy as I imagined I was. I was about 125 pounds and 5'7". I wanted so badly to fit in. I wanted to be a cheerleader. I tried out but I did not even get to be a “Mat Maid” (a wrestling cheerleader). I guess it takes special talent to cheer from you knees? Phooey.
As a junior, I decided that I wanted to be a truck driver (with my bum of a boyfriend). What could be better than driving and seeing the US, and getting paid for it!? As you can well imagine, my mother came completely unglued! Of course, when the bum dumped me for my ex-best friend, my dream of being a truck driver was scrapped. No regrets on that one!
I think I only “belonged” to one club (other than the Spanish club). During the winter, I would take a school bus and ski every weekend. That was awesome! Nothing more fun than skiing in waist deep powder without poles. Most of my time was spent goofing off in one way or another! I think I started to mature about two or three years after high school. Can't say that I'm there yet.
Would we have been friends?

2 comments:

Sherry said...

As long as I wouldn't have had to talk.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have... been there more. It's one of the sorrows of my life that I was away for so much of your teenage days. What a dummy -- I would do it differently if I had the chance.