Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Public Speaking

Once a year at work, I have to do training for the whole company. I absolutely hate public speaking. My mother enrolled me in drama and public speaking several times as a kid. I hated ever minute of it! It does not matter who I am talking to, or what I am taking about. Before it is even my turn to speak, my hands shake, my mouth goes dry, I can’t breathe and I feel unusually warm. I have been known to lock my knees and go over like a tall tree.

J, who is a veteran public speaker, told me to just act normally. My co-workers disagreed and said that my acting normally would be a very bad thing! And Mason said “Don’t worry! It won’t matter because no one will be listening to you anyway.” Thanks, I feel so much better now…NOT! Thankfully, the locking of the knees did not happen this time, I was anchored to the podium. However, my hand was shaking so much that my laser pointer was dancing wildly.

Well, I survived. And hope that I do not have to do it again…ever. Not likely.

1 comment:

kaw said...

i feel the exact same way about public speaking. my dad has a phd in communications and always thought that i would get over it. i haven't. i think it's actually gotten worse as i've gotten older!